About this recipe
Shop this recipe:
- 160g Aubergine, 3cm chunks cut on an angle
- 60g Peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 160g Spring onions, roughly chopped
- 5cm Ginger, grated
- 2 Cloves garlic, grated
- 5-10 Dried chillies (optional)
- 100g Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns (or substitute regular pepper corns)
- 25ml Soy sauce (or gluten free alternative)
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons Sugar, brown sugar/maple syrup
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
Dry fry the aubergine in a large wok or frying pan on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until the edges start to colour. Add the peanuts and cook for a further 3 minutes or until toasted.
Remove the aubergine and peanuts from the pan and set aside.
Return the pan to the heat and add the sesame oil. Once hot, add the spring onions, ginger, garlic and chillies (if using) and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are starting to soften.
Add the marinade, stir, and cook for another minute. Add the aubergine and peanuts back into the pan, along with a splash of water. Simmer for 10 minutes until cooked through.
Stir through the spinach, then remove from the heat and allow the spinach to wilt for a minute. Garnish with chopped peanuts.