Serves 4 as a side
About this recipe
Perfect with meat or fish, and an excellent BBQ side.
Having the fennel thinly sliced makes a delicious crunchy salad, perfect for the summer months. This recipe also works great with cucumber as well as the fennel and tomatoes.
Having really flavoursome side dishes on offer is a great way of upping your vegetable intake; especially good if you are looking to reduce your meat intake and eat more plant based goodness.
I also love adding a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts of sunflower seeds for a source of fatty acids and protein.
Shop this recipe:
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Capers
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 Clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
- 12 Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Fennel bulbs, cut into thin slices
- Handful of rocket leaves (any peppery salad leaves work well)
- Handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Pine nuts or seeds for sprinkling (optional)
Begin by mixing together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set to one side whilst you prepare the fennel and tomatoes – this will help mellow the raw garlic slightly.
Cut your fennel into very thin slices, if you have one, a mandolin works really well for this. Make sure you keep the fine leaves of the fennel too, as these provide a delicious aniseed-like flavour. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters and roughly chop your mint.
Add the fennel, tomatoes, rocket and mint into your serving bowl and pour over the dressing, giving everything a nice mix.
Finish with a sprinkling of small mint leaves.