About this recipe
Photo credit: Hope Pointing
Shop this recipe:
For the stir fry
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- A thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Around 8 spears of purple sprouting broccoli, halved lengthways (also halved horizontally if they are especially thick – this will speed up the cooking time).
- 225g Tin water-chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 250-300g Button or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 Spring onions, sliced thinly
- Around 8 cherry tomatoes
- A handful of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks
- 1 carrot, julienned (cut into really thin strips, alternatively use a peeler to make ribbons)
- Black pepper
- 2 Portions of noodles (using pea or lentil spaghetti is also a great option for added plant based protein)
For the sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce/ tamari
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar / honey
- Juice of half a lemon or one whole lime
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce (avoid this if making the dish vegan)
- 1 Tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 Tbsp crunchy nut butter
Begin by making your sauce by simply combining all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Heat the oil on a medium-high heat in a wok or large non-stick frying pan. While heating up, prepare your vegetables.
Add the ginger and garlic to the hot oil and fry for a couple of minutes before adding in the broccoli, mushrooms, peppers and chestnuts and pan fry for a further 5 or so minutes until the vegetables start to become tender.
Meanwhile, cook your noodles, following the instructions on the back of the pack, once cooked, drain and run under a cold tap to stop the cooking. If using pre-cooked or straight-to-wok noodles, avoid this step.
Once the vegetables have softened, add in the sauce, noodles, carrots and cherry tomatoes and cook for a further few minutes, stirring well to make sure everything is coated in the sauce.
Serve immediately and finish with some chopped coriander.