Prep time: 10 minutes
About this recipe
The addition of simple kitchen herbs is such an easy yet effective way of adding a delicious punch to simple lentils.
This will transform your cooking!
Shop this recipe:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 160g onion (about 1 medium), diced
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 160g brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 160g passata
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 25g fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks chopped
- 25g fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 20g fresh dill, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Greek yoghurt, to serve
Heat the oil in a shallow casserole dish over a low to medium heat, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened.
Add the spices and cook for a further minute, then add the drained lentils and stir to allow the spices and lentils to mingle.
Add the passata, stock cube, water and honey or maple syrup. Stir in two-thirds of the herbs, cover and simmer for 30–35 minutes until the lentils are tender (add a splash of water if it starts to look dry). Season well when cooked.
Remove from the heat and serve scattered with the rest of the herbs, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Cook time: 40 minutes