Prep time: 15 minutes
About this recipe
This one-pan Mexican-inspired dish, packed with gorgeous flavours from the cumin and hot paprika, will get your day off to a fiery start. And it’s another recipe with four portions of veg per serving, too.
Shop this recipe:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g spring onions (about 3 or 4), thinly sliced
- 160g deseeded red pepper (about 1 large), sliced
- 1 tsp each hot and sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 160g peeled and stoned avocado (1 large or 2 small), sliced
- 15g fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 small corn tortillas, warmed in the oven or dry pan
Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and red pepper and fry gently for 10 minutes until softened.
Add the spices and fry for a minute more, then add the tomatoes, beans and 100ml water. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Make 2 hollows in the mixture and crack an egg into each. Cover and cook for 2–3 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still soft.
Remove from the heat and serve topped with the avocado and scattered with the coriander leaves, with warm tortillas for scooping.
Cook time: 25 minutes