Prep time: 10 minutes
About this recipe
Jewelled rice, the epitome of luxurious home cooking, combining saffron, barberries and nuts, was a favourite in my household when I was growing up. This version of the original is far quicker and it does not disappoint!
Scatter a generous pinch of dried rose petals over the finished dish to add floral fragrance and flavour.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 100g brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- A few saffron strands (optional)
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 160g carrots (1 large or 2 small), julienned or coarsely grated
- 75g spring onions (about 5), finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 450ml boiling water
- 160g courgettes (2 medium), julienned or peeled into thin ribbons
- 20g sour cherries or barberries
- 20g flaked almonds
- 20g shelled, unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 15g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put a lidded casserole dish over a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the rice, spices, chickpeas, carrots and spring onions and stir for 1 minute to allow the flavours to mingle.
Add the orange zest and juice, crumble in the stock cube, add plenty of salt and pepper and pour over the boiling water. Stir, cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
Remove from the heat, fold in the courgettes, cherries or barberries, nuts, parsley and the remaining extra-virgin olive oil and serve.
Cook time: 35 minutes