Prep time: 15 minutes
About this recipe
The rich, fiery blend of chipotle and black beans is complemented nicely here by the crunch of tortilla chips and mellow avocado, and the cumin, paprika and dried oregano carry the Southern flavour well.
You can use any chilli paste if you can’t find chipotle.
Shop this recipe:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 160g celery (3–4 stalks), diced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 jalapeno slices from a jar
- 2 heaped tbsp sour cream or Greek yoghurt (or plant-based alternative)
- 15g fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Handful of blue corn (or other) tortilla chips, crushed
- 160g peeled and stoned avocado (1 large or 2 small), mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the celery and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes.
Add the paprika, cumin, oregano and black pepper and stir for a minute before tipping in the beans and adding the chipotle paste, stock cube and boiling water. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 8–10 minutes.
Blend the mixture roughly with a stick blender (maintain some whole beans for texture).
Serve in bowls with sliced jalapenos, sour cream, coriander, crushed tortilla chips, avocado, lime juice and more black pepper, with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
Cook time: 15 minutes