About this recipe
This is a recipe created by the fabulous Penny Brohn UK – a National charity, funded by public donations that provides free, integrative care to cancer patients, before, during and after treatment.
See their website link above – for an insight into the fantastic work that they do and the support they can provide for patients.
Shop this recipe:
- I tbsp Olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2cm Ginger, grated
- 1 Red chilli finely chopped (½ tsp dried) optional
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and mixed spice
- 200g Red lentils or split peas, rinsed
- 400ml Tin coconut milk
- 400ml Water or vegetable stock
- Small bunch coriander (separate stalks and chop)
- Juice ½ lemon
- 100g Baby spinach or shredded leaves
- Salt and black pepper to season
In a saucepan soften the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in the oil (gently for 10 minutes).
Add the spices and cook for a further 1-2 minutes to release flavour.
Add lentils, coconut milk and stock to the pan with coriander stalks, bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 25-30 minutes (30-45 minutes for split peas).
Stir regularly to prevent sticking – adding more fluid if needed.
Just before serving add the lemon juice and spinach, allowing it to wilt, and serve topped with chopped coriander leaves.
For a more hearty meal serve on a bed of brown basmati rice with chutney or tomato salsa.
Leftovers can be used to make a lentil soup.