Sleep is one of the most important activities of daily living so on this episode I invite sleep medicine expert Dr Michael Farquhar to discuss the impact of eating (and what time we eat) on sleep quality.
We also delve into a discussion about fasting, the effect of poor sleep on health (particularly shift workers) and why defining when you choose to eat could have health benefits. We round up with actionable tips on how you can ‘Eat on Time’ every day.
We talk about:
- What happens when we sleep, what are the mechanisms, do we still not know why we sleep
- How eating can positively or negatively affect our sleep pattern
- Does it affect circadian rhythm? Cortisol, melatonin, Noradrenalin
- What kind of hormonal effects do we see when we sleep?
- How long does it take to reset the clock
- What is fasting?
- Different types of fasting that are most popular
- Are we meant to fast from an evolutionary point of view?
- What happens during a fast at a physiological level and will the effects be different depending on the person fasting?
- Health effects of fasting
- Why is fasting becoming popular?
- Why constant eating could be harmful and related to lifestyle diseases
- How to fast responsibly and what things to look out for if you do?
And remember, these are NOT rules but gentle guides. If I get back late from a shift, it’s 11pm and I’m hungry .. I’m eating.
Do not restrict yourself on the basis of this information. It’s OK to eat late every now and again like for example on a Friday night with friends over wine.
There is a lot more to a healthy lifestyle and MINDSET than just restricting when you eat