Is everything we have been told about nutrition wrong? And have we questioned prevailing dietary dogma enough? Are we asking the right questions in nutrition science and if not, how do we rectify it?
Professor Tim Spector, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at Kings College London and honorary consultant Physician at Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals is my guest this week and we dive into these questions and more.
He is the lead researcher behind the world’s biggest citizen science health project – the Covid Symptom study app. This free tool has been used by more than 4 million people in the UK, US, and Sweden. The app identified new symptoms of the disease and risk factors as well as monitoring its progress to warn health authorities.
On the show today we talk about:
- Why the calorie in calorie out dogma is entirely flawed
- Why salt may not be the prime suspect
- The approach to pesticides we should take
- Artificially sweetened beverages
- Practical suggestions for how to live healthier
- What the future of personalised nutrition could hold