Today on the podcast I speak with Drew Ramsey, MD who is a leading innovator in mental health, combining clinical excellence, nutritional interventions and creative media. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and in active clinical practice in New York City.
His work and writing have been featured by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Lancet Psychiatry, and The Today Show, BBC, and NPR, which named him a “kale evangelist.” He’s given two TEDx talks with a third coming this Fall. He is the author of three books, Eat Complete: The 21 Nutrients that Fuel Brain Power, Boost Weight Loss and Transform Your Health, 50 Shades of Kale, and The Happiness Diet. His e-course, Eat To Beat Depression, helps people maximize their brain health with every bite.
He is on the Advisory Board at Men’s Health, the Editorial Board at Medscape Psychiatry, and is a Scientific Adviser to the stigma-fighting non-profit Bring Change To Mind.
The subjects that I spoke about with Drew on the podcast covered the following:
- Drew’s background and his journey to Food (and Kale in particular)
- What his clinical practice currently looks like and the conditions he sees regularly
- What Nutritional Psychiatry means to him and how he practices it with patients
- Some of his Patient experiences
- How to overcome the 3 barriers to nutritional change (complication, time and money, over reliance on supplements)
- The 21 nutrients of transformation
- Inflammation as a cause of depression
- The many different types of depression – emotions, neurochemical and the others we have yet to define
- The gut brain axis and its importance to brain/mental health
- His latest e-course and what he hopes to achieve with “Eat to beat Depression”
- The wider determinants of mental health and how to scale a movement that delivers change
I’m delighted to confirm too that we have kindly been gifted a discount code for you all to use on Dr Drew Ramsey’s course – ‘Eat To Beat Depression – Harnessing the Power of Food to Boost Mood’. By clicking on this link here to access the course, you will receive 15% discount off the original price of the course.
And remember to check out Dr Drew Ramsey on his website and social media pages by following the links on the page here, and also have a look at Dr Drew’s books – Eat Complete, Fifty Shades of Kale and The Happiness Diet by clicking this link.