I invite fellow doctor and friend Dr Ailsa Lumsden – a training oncologist in London – onto the podcast. I met Ailsa a couple of years ago at a lifestyle medicine conference and since then we’ve become really good friends.
On this episode, we discuss
- What is Cancer?
- The evidence on how lifestyle factors can help prevent and manage cancers of various types.
- An insight into the duty of a cancer doctor and the importance of maintaining a patient centered approach
- The importance of normalising the conversation around cancer and treatment options
- Sugar and cancer
- Who’s fault is cancer
- The link with Obesity
- The biochemical effects of vegetables, fruits and nuts on cancer
- Exercise and cancer, during and after treatment
As with other conditions, the focus of cancer treatment is based around the patient. Your GP, cancer specialists and some excellent cancer charities can all provide many avenues of support.
In summary – some areas worth considering for those facing the disease are lifestyle and wellness ie the inclusion of activity and exercise, and diet ie focusing on nutrient dense ingredients, eating more fruits and vegetables and lowering consumption of processed foods and high sugar foods.
Listen to the episode for more in depth information on eating for cancer, and try out some of the recipes in my book, on the website and and across social media